Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Prometheus Box Office Total
  • GahlaktusGahlaktus  
    Colonist

geiger167 said:

Riddick never made 800 million, just saying something doesn't make it real bro lol :) It's simple maths, it's not even in the top twenty best selling dvds/blu rays lists anywhere. 

OK : 2004 One weeks sales rentals

According to Video Business, Chronicles of Riddick (UNR/WIDE) came in at
    number 2 behind Elf for the week ending November 21st. They don't
    provide sales figures, but Shrek (WS and FS) had the number 3 & 4
    spots, so I assume sales were pretty decent.

And if rental figures are any indication, it looks like Riddick wasn't that far behind Elf for the week...

Elf - 3.01 million rentals

Chronicles of Riddick - 2.08 million rentals

• geiger167geiger167  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    Those are the weekly sales figures for Riddick, how do you go from there to 800 million. Riddick is NOT in the top twenty all times sales chart for any format, be it rental, video sales, blu ray sales. 800 million would make it one of the most successful sales launches on any format, bigger than the star wars blu rays, bigger than avatar blus. bigger than finding nemo dvd sales, bigger than mama mia sales, bigger than the call of duty software launches, all of which are regarded as the high point in all media sales ever in history. Your figures DO NOT equate to 800 million, at best you are looking at 50-150 million combined sales over the top of the existing budget on these sales and that is wildly overestimating it. Link me to any site that says what you are saying is true, ANY SITE, and I will apologise
  • CarrotCarrot  
    SpaceBiscuit
    Is there any website that shows how much money films are making out on home video?

Like boxofficemojo a continued after the theatres?
  • GahlaktusGahlaktus  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    geiger167 said:

Those are the weekly sales figures for Riddick, how do you go from there to 800 million. Riddick is NOT in the top twenty all times sales chart for any format, be it rental, video sales, blu ray sales. 800 million would make it one of the most successful sales launches on any format, bigger than the star wars blu rays, bigger than avatar blus. bigger than finding nemo dvd sales, bigger than mama mia sales, bigger than the call of duty software launches, all of which are regarded as the high point in all media sales ever in history. Your figures DO NOT equate to 800 million, at best you are looking at 50-150 million combined sales over the top of the existing budget on these sales and that is wildly overestimating it. Link me to any site that says what you are saying is true, ANY SITE, and I will apologise

These are one day figures and one week figures. I really don't need you to explain to me what the post above clearly explains to anyone who can read. I'm still searching for the figures. They are out there because I've seen them several times.

Let me say this, too. I won't spend my time having a public argument with you. If you want to argue something, PM me. I'll disregard it.

There are people who come to this website to argue and nay say minutiae. They repeat back what someone has written, not to understand but to nay say. I won't go down that path with you. When I find the figures I will post them for this thread. But I'm not going to derail the thread by getting into a to - do over the Chronicles Of Riddick - which is not what this thread is about.

The larger point that was being made is that there is no way Prometheus cannot wind up being profitable over the long term, the Chronicles of Riddick was used to make an illustrative point which you should have been able to divine. No, you wanted to impress everyone by playing Mephistopheles : "I am he who denies,"
    by arguing a minor factoid within a larger argument.

You have had your say. It's been recorded for the minor posterity that you will have. I'm moving on.

Best
  • tifosi77tifosi77  
    Colonist
    Gahlaktus said:

Thats just the film production cost. It doesn't cover advertising and distribution costs. The overall total cost is usually assumed to be in the range of 2x to 3x the production budget.

Trust me, they won't lose money, And no one can convince me they spent $150 million on advertising and distribution costs. Hollywood has an arcane write-off system. For instance, they swore they lost money on the Chronicles of Riddick. But in 2005, or 2006, with DVD sales that movie had brought in over $800 million. They're still counting the money from that one.

There's no way for them to lose one dime on Prometheus.

Home video sales are a separate accounting bucket.  In simple terms, for determining if a movie was profitable or not that money doesn't count.  The funds are never comingled, and revenue for each is very clearly separated in all agreements pertaining to the film.
    Carrot said:

Every discussion I've had with people about it, even the Haters of Prometheus, have used 50 mill as the advertising figure.
    No links, but I don't think anything was released officially.

I think it's safe to assume (dangerous word) that the production budget was $130m - $150m, and the P&A budget was $50m - $80m.  That means all in "Prometheus" ran a tab of between $180m - $230m.  Not knowing the particulars about the various deals each of the principals mave have inked - with regard to profit participation - I think it's safe to assume (again....) that the movie is well into the black at this point.
    Perfect organism.
  • prometheusfire08prometheusfire08  (2 like this)
    Colonist

in the world of the global elite i doubt this movie ACTUALLY cost fox anything........and the advertising was probably paid for by sponsers and umbrella corporations..........

just sayin

• CybercatCybercat  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Yeah, wasn't that David viral video sponsored by Verizon?  Oops, there's another giant hole in the plot of the negative spin factory.
  • prometheusfire08prometheusfire08  (4 like this)
    Colonist
     and coors light beer :P
  • prometheusfire08prometheusfire08  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    oh and microsoft :)
  • prometheusfire08prometheusfire08  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    and im actually sure that the virals were made by ridley scotts own production company by friends and family? and no offense but im pretty sure that lindloff and scott probably put some of their own cash into it ...........i dont think that fox has lost anything and the whole thing has worked out in profit :)
  • GahlaktusGahlaktus  
    Colonist
    @tifosi :

Home video sales are a separate accounting bucket.  In simple terms,
    for determining if a movie was profitable or not that money doesn't
    count.  The funds are never comingled, and revenue for each is very
    clearly separated in all agreements pertaining to the film.

That sounds absolutely right to me.
  • CybercatCybercat  (1 like this)
    Colonist

Gahlaktus said:

@tifosi :

Home video sales are a separate accounting bucket.  In simple terms,
    for determining if a movie was profitable or not that money doesn't
    count.  The funds are never comingled, and revenue for each is very
    clearly separated in all agreements pertaining to the film.

That sounds absolutely right to me.

One dollar bill doesn't look different than another dollar bill.  If Fox ran their corporation like that, they'd be out of business.  The people at the studio aren't total idiots, the possibility of a huge take on home video is definitely part of their considerations.  Wonky accounting tidbits are irrelevant.  This would be like saying the possibility of massive merchandise sales wasn't one of the main reason Cars 2 was made because the accounting for merchandise is different.  This argument makes no practical sense whatsoever.
  • virtftwvirtftw  
    Colonist
    Actually, wonky accounting is all it is about :P Studios are no different from corporate real estate developers, writing off project costs as debts incurred on investment while adding artificial value to intangible assets. Just don't add causal logic to it when it comes to the reporting or presentation. Accounting on that scale is more art than the productions the studios undertake all too often :P

Fox is a studio which thrives because of such business practices. Exactly because they are no idiots. Such practices do not exclude further gains or prospects of, far from. But really, never underestimate accounting at that level of business. 

Also, keep in mind that it really does not matter if a movie is profitable. What matters is whether or not the productions of the business cycle (two to three years typically) are profitable after the tally. A failed project can all too easily be used in accounting as a means to push down taxable gain overall. 

Accountancy at the enterprise level makes no practical sense whatsoever, except for the books.
    *looks down. "my my, big things really can have small beginnings"
  • CybercatCybercat  
    Colonist
    That's nice and all, but home video/merchandise is still a huge motivation behind what projects get green lit, which was the point of this entire argument.  There are plenty of other science fiction properties that will never be revived, because they don't produce that kind of revenue.  Alien, on the other hand, always has, and that's why it has never truly disappeared from Fox's planning.
  • Troym76Troym76  
    Colonist
    A ton of advertising was put out by Fox themselves so i dont think it would hurt the movie Box Office Sales at all and the internet things that are going around I dont think that adds up to a heap of shit !! So dont worry there will be a sequel !! Peace !!
  • NatarisNataris  (3 like this)
    Colonist
    I'm with cybercat.

I live 15 min outside NYC and the only ads I saw were vitals on the net and TV commercials. Both of which less then a month before release.

It's silly to compare the ad campaign to Dark Knight Rises. I've seen trailers, billboards etc for the dark knight for at least the past year. That was not the case with Prometheus.

Personally I don't think there was enough build up for prometheus. I'm my area they started the heavy trailers only a few weeks before release.

Sure France got a promo train station. But in NY, the largest market in the US, the ads were few and far between.
  • geiger167geiger167  (2 like this)
    Colonist
    Gahlaktus is still wrong though lol
  • CarrotCarrot  
    SpaceBiscuit
    Carrot said:

Is there any website that shows how much money films are making out on home video?

Like boxofficemojo a continued after the theatres?

tell me
  • GahlaktusGahlaktus  
    Colonist
    geiger167 said:

Gahlaktus is still wrong though lol

@geiger : I'm going to find it and you will see. Sorry to have been harsh.
  • CarrotCarrot  (1 like this)
    SpaceBiscuit
    That 180 mill says total budget.
    So that means it's everything including marketing I presume.  :)
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    I don't think so, that number is going to be more than $200M even if advertising was $50M because there are other distribution costs that need to be added into it.
  • CarrotCarrot  
    SpaceBiscuit
    How do you knowww this
    Couldn't the distribution costs be factored in already?
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    $50M for adertising + distribution on a possibly low end $130M production budget? The old rule of thumb was 2x production budget for total cost. Some people think that should be closer to 3X now. 
  • CarrotCarrot  
    SpaceBiscuit
    this seems like so much speculation _-_
    Distribution deals are not universal and very for each film anyway.  Like Golden Compass basically getting nothing off of international sales.
    Supposedly Fox International gets great deals
    but only speculation!!  I don't see why they will not just
    release everything to the public

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.