Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Computer Troubleshooting Thread
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    Edit: Instead of closing the thread, I think if anyone has computer problems, just bring them here and see if anyone else on the forums has the answers you seek.

Any computer buffs out that that are good at fixing computers?

I had a failing hard drive in my computer and had a friend replace it with a new one. He reimaged the old drive onto the new one. It seems to basically work. However... the new drive is 2TB. If you go to Control Panel, then Administrative Tools, to Computer Management, then to Disk Management, under Storage, it says: Disc 0, 1863.01 GB. However, if you right click on Disc 0 and click Properties, it opens up a window that says "Local Disk (C:) Properties". For Used Space, it reads "121 GB" and for Free Space it reads "111GB"; it doesn't acknowledge the rest of the empty space on my new drive, nor will it if I go to My Computer and check Local Disc (C:), there. I going to try running disc checker and see if the problem is because of a bad sector, but if that doesn't help, what can I do to make the computer recognize all the extra space on my hard drive? I use Vista.
    Vivez la yoga pants.
  • ramp_closingramp_closing  
    Colonist
    Might want to use Partition Magic or some other non destructive partitioning software to add the unallocated volume to your drive space.

Looks like that software is gone, but here's a free alternative.
    My hot dog has a first name. It's es pee yew en kay.
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    Looks terrifying. 
    Vivez la yoga pants.
    Colonist
    Hah, yeah.  Maybe try this instead.

Colonist
    That work on Vista?  It looked like 7 and Vista had some differences in drive management.
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    My bad, didn't catch the very last part of what Nick said :p

If I recall correctly, Vista doesn't even have these drive management features.. as u also suggested
    I wanna go home and party.
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    Should be a similar process?  (Haven't used Windows as my primary in a while :P)
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090728093856AAOwor1
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    When I go to Computer Management, it doesn't show the space on my hard drive as unallocated. I can't create a partition without unallocated disc space. According to my computer. There is none.

I tried using EaseUS Partition Master. I try resizing my partition so that I can create a new partition from that unallocated space and hit Apply. Then, it says it will reboot and make the changes. Only when it does, I receive an error saying, "There was errors when writing to disc" or some such nonsense.
    Problem.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 196K
    Vivez la yoga pants.
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    Also, I tried Aomei Partition Assistant 4.0 and it says that I have 115.66GB Used Space and 117.22GB Free Space and a Capacity of 1863,01GB.
    Problem1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 151K
    Vivez la yoga pants.
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    Partition Magic is best. Go on Skype and I'll hook u up
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath
    Good enough:
    Fuck Yes.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 127K
    Vivez la yoga pants.
    Colonist
    Nice.

What's in the 'hide' folder?
  • ViscalViscal  (4 like this)
    Brometheus
    his entire mp3 collection of Coldplay
  • seanmlseanml  
    Colonist
    Anyone know how any good programs to help speed up my computer for free, I've done a scan, no malware or anything, just a lot of background stuff and a a good amount of unused files that are slowing this MU-TH-UR fucker down. Any programs you know of that can assist in clearing these things?
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    seanml said:

Anyone know how any good programs to help speed up my computer for free, I've done a scan, no malware or anything, just a lot of background stuff and a a good amount of unused files that are slowing this MU-TH-UR fucker down. Any programs you know of that can assist in clearing these things?

Its likely that you need more memory. Pehaps your disk drive needs to be defraged. Other things to check is the amount of virtual memory being used or cache size. Maybe its an application causing a problem. I've found Firefox to be a problem with a gig or less of memory. Chrome seems faster and less of a memory pig but has other quirks.
  • NickIsSmartNickIsSmart  
    Flaming_Telepath

Nice.

What's in the 'hide' folder?

It's a Skyrim texture folder. It replacers the vanilla hide texture with better looking custom texture if I put it into my Skyrim Data directory.

seanml said:

Disable any active programs you don't want active to free up your RAM. That should help, depending on the amount of RAM you have versus how many background programs you have running versus what you're trying to run (a game or program with a high RAM requirement with slow down or even crash if you don't have enough available RAM). 
    Vivez la yoga pants.
  • tifosi77tifosi77  
    Colonist
    I have a 24" Acer 16:9 monitor that appears to be dying.  On the right side - perfectly in line with the edge of a 4:3 image - I have what appear to be three vertical lines, top to bottom, of wonk.  Solid lines that don't go away when there's a signal.  Swapped out different DVI cables to check if it was the video card, but there stayeth the stripes.

Is this a fixable problem?  I don't particularly want to get the display refurbed or anything; I'll just buy a new (bigger) monitor.  But if it's fixable, I'll post it for sale on Craig's List or whatever and maybe get a few dollars for it.
    Perfect organism.
  • drxs0drxs0  
    Colonist
    Not a problem more of a question.  I need to get a KVM switch so I can hook up my other computer with my monitor.  Any suggestions on which brand to get?  I do not want to waste money on a product that is basically worthless.  Thanks.
    ~In Space No One Can Hear You Scream~
  • journeymanjourneyman  
    Colonist
    Have you tried turning it off and then back on again?
  • tifosi77tifosi77  (1 like this)
    Colonist
    Yes, to no avail.
    Perfect organism.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.