Prometheus Forum
We are the Gods now
Misc News And Current Events
  • VodiVodi  (1 like this)
    Predator

Pffffttttt I saw dude 100x worse at every rave I went to

Same here

I've seen people at parties and music event doing some very disturbing things. Murder and eating someone's face just about beats it though. Just about.
    Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
  • Sticky_FingazSticky_Fingaz  
    NukSuKow

Conservative New Democracy Party wins Greek Election. This indicates a desire by the Greek majority to stay in the euro. The vote was close without a clear majority and indicating possible problems forming a government coalition.

Corruption at it's finest. There's no way in hell the Greek people would vote to stay in the Euro and receive more "bailouts" from the troika. They've been lining up to kill themselves outside of Parliament for years now. The people see what's happened to their country since the first bailout until now. You cannot borrow your way out of debt. For them it's like paying their mortgage on their credit card. This is a sad day for democracy.
    You read it. I thought it was clear.
  • Sticky_FingazSticky_Fingaz  (1 like this)
    NukSuKow
    Vodi said:

Pffffttttt I saw dude 100x worse at every rave I went to

Same here

I've seen people at parties and music event doing some very disturbing things. Murder and eating someone's face just about beats it though. Just about.

Hahah Just about. I was at a rave a few years back with a few mates and this tripper on liquid g turned around and bit my Lebo mate on the arm out of no where. Wasn't hard enough to break skin, but enough to warrant an ass whooping. Why anyone would want to get that messy is beyond me. How could being a zombie possibly be fun?
  • homer1962homer1962  
    Colonist

everytime i check PF there is at least 2-3 new threads that has been discussed before and are asking questions that just have no real clarity or questions that is obvious or questions that could be asked in misk prometheus stuff or somewhere else. Would a "pending approval' help to deal with the traffic of threads?

Back to thread topic. My local Fire department are on strike because the government is planning on cutting their department from 64 guys (64 people to protect a full city of 142,000) to 32 just to save some money.
    Disgracefull. Apart from the guys and gals who work at hospitals and the men and women of the police force, the Fire department is the most important job there is. imagine cutting their wages and numbers.

You are spot on terra, its been driving me crazy. I spent weeks lurking here, following all the threads before I joined. Then a while before I created a thread. I think its great that this place is popular, but you think people would show more respect for this place than just jumping in and creating threads willy-nilly. Sorry, my rant for the day.
  • homer1962homer1962  
    Colonist

Its not so much the Greek exit at this point, many assume that will happen sometime by the end of the year or earlier (like in a few weeks), its that there will be a domino like effect, probably Portugal, Spain and Italy. Portugal would probably not matter with respect to integrity of the Euro and the EU but if Spain or Italy outright default then the Euro is probably done for. Germany itself would be likely to leave the Euro in fear of being on the hook for the overall debt situation.

The cutting of local public employees in the US is the most counter-productive thing that can be done in the current economic situation. There should have been large funding support by the Federal government a couple of years ago to prevent the spread of economic shutdown and detriment of local public services. This can also be said of the general austerity that many of the EU countries are attempting and that hasn't been shown to provide increased economic growth.

That is something that fascinates me. You hear that the Germans resent having to bail out what they regard as slothful southern europeans. Yet those same southern europeans (and Irish too, I suppose), feel like its the forth reich now dominating the rest of europe.
  • kamikazekurtkamikazekurt  
    Colonist

It seems that its really necessary to have a strong central government and banking system for a single currency to work. Would you be in favor of a United States of Europe? Or just go back to having multiple currencies?

That is a tough questions with many debates - because as the United States was forming each state had their unique currencies until the central (Federal) government stepped in to unify the currency, and in many ways, strengthening the ties of a young country.  

Europe, on the other hand, are independent countries who've been around for hundreds of years before the United States.  Even though they're united through the European Union, there is still much political and financial independence of each self-governing country.  The fact that they're all part of one landmass and common borders, sharing and being interdependent with different industries - in the end, its' their soverignty that keeps them fractured. 

I remember the raging debates in the late 80s, early 90s about having a unified currency because the countries were afraid of loosing their domestic currency and being displaced by an all unifying monetary system.  Concessions were made in a lot of countries where both the doemstic and Euro had to be accepted (e.g. England where for both Euro and Sterling). 

Look how paranoid we are when it comes to the United Nations and having a "New World Order" conspiracy bullshit going on - sure we might generally support the actions of the UN, but only if they serve our best interests.  I do not see Europe unifying in the same way as the United States because European history will show that this is not possible and as long as there is both a local currency and the Euro there will continue to be problems and debate.  
    my God, it's full of stars!
    NukSuKow
    homer1962 said:

Its not so much the Greek exit at this point, many assume that will happen sometime by the end of the year or earlier (like in a few weeks), its that there will be a domino like effect, probably Portugal, Spain and Italy. Portugal would probably not matter with respect to integrity of the Euro and the EU but if Spain or Italy outright default then the Euro is probably done for. Germany itself would be likely to leave the Euro in fear of being on the hook for the overall debt situation.

The cutting of local public employees in the US is the most counter-productive thing that can be done in the current economic situation. There should have been large funding support by the Federal government a couple of years ago to prevent the spread of economic shutdown and detriment of local public services. This can also be said of the general austerity that many of the EU countries are attempting and that hasn't been shown to provide increased economic growth.

That is something that fascinates me. You hear that the Germans resent having to bail out what they regard as slothful southern europeans. Yet those same southern europeans (and Irish too, I suppose), feel like its the forth reich now dominating the rest of europe.

The thing is the term "bail out" is wrong. It's a loan, at interest. You don't hear the Commonwealth Bank or ANZ complain about giving mortgages to slothful western suburbians.

If that was money that is never to be paid back, fair enough. But they're just issuing debt, which is an attractive commodity.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    Part of the problem is that the Germans managed to accumulate a good chunk of their wealth exporting products to the other EU nations (1/2 of German exports before the recession went to other EU countries) that are now having debt problems. The depressed value of the euro at this time is good for Germany's exports making them relatively cheap but bad for the Spain, Italy and Greece because that contributes to the high interest rates they must pay to sell their bonds. One way or another Germany is going to have to pay something; either to keep the euro going or due to the high relative value a new deutschmark would have if they drop out.
  • homer1962homer1962  
    Colonist
    On a change of topic. How much longer can the world ignore Basher al Assad, killing thousands of people a week? I don't know how Putin sleeps at night because he is the only person blocking any solution.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    I don't see the US doing any kind of direct intervention in Syria; it would probably be politically impossible this close to the national elections and the involvement in the Libyan revolution is still a matter of contention. Russia seems to be shipping arms to Assad's forces and the Turks are smuggling arms across the border to the rebels. I think the civil war there will be drawn out and bloody.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    Chinese spacecraft docks with a spacelab that was launched last year:
    Colonist
    Now the Russians are sending in troops to Syria - but as of now, it's unclear as to whether or not they are there to support Assad, or to keep an eye on the situation and/or their citizens (possibly their joint military bases).

In light of UN calls for action in Syria, and everyone not doing anything (typical), I think the Russians are doing something on their own.  But then I wonder, will the U.S. perform some kind of aid towards the end, much like we did in Libya?
  • homer1962homer1962  
    Colonist
    Hey Sticky, Jonesy and anyone else in Melbourne. Did you just feel that Earth tremor. It scared the shit out of me.
    NukSuKow
    I did homer. It's been felt as far as Geelong, Eildon and Toolarook and Phillip Island.
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    Was there much damage? I don't see any mention of the quake on the national/international web-sites here in the US.
    Colonist
    So much for Australia being a geologically dead continent... before you know it, there'll be a volcano sprouting out of Adelaide or something.

One thing I did learn living in Australia - the rest of the world worries about the news in America, but us Americans usually don't care what happens to anywhere else in the world when it comes to the news.  
    L-)
  • kjohnson26kjohnson26  
    Colonist
    Off-hand there is nothing prominent about an earthquake in Australia on the BBC web-site either.
  • homer1962homer1962  
    Colonist
    It was a 5.3 30 second quake/tremor, only minor damage.

• An unknown number of women may perceive ?millions of colors invisible to the rest of us. 

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    Though u guys aren't technically in the ring of fire, I'd say you're fairly close from it.

I've been in the ring my whole life, haha.  Just had a 6. something 2 days ago in southeastern Japan where it was strongly felt here in Tokyo. California has its fair share as well.
    I wanna go home and party.
  • homer1962homer1962  
    Colonist
    Yeah. You're right. First living in California, then Japan. You have been, and still are, living with the sword of Damocles hanging over your head.'Not forgetting tsnamis as well

its burned into my memory seeing actual footage of the big one that hit San Fran in 1906? And seeing a bridge bend and buckle then disintergrate.
  • ViscalViscal  
    Brometheus
    Infrastructure in California were not built to handle big earthquakes. Sections of bridges have collapsed in the 1989 earthquake, lots of highway damage, buildings left in rubble, lots of irreparable structural damages to houses that caused it to lose about 30% of their market value.

I was in Japan when the big one hit last year -- but we were hundreds of miles from the epicenter. The strongest quake I felt was back in 89 near San Francisco because i was closer to the epicenter. I literally watched the ground making waves.
    I wanna go home and party.
  • homer1962homer1962  
    Colonist
    That would have scared me too death. I remember seeing that on the news. Our PM stopped in the middle of a news conference to ask reporters did they have any word on San Francisco. 
  • I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!
    Colonist
    64 drone bases and counting on American soil.  Not conspiracy stuff, but fact.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Forum Tips

• Bookmark All Discussions to catch all of the action.
• Introduce yourself here.
• Click your username for more options.
Dismiss to unsticky discussions.
Imgur for hosting images.
• Email: prometheusforum@gmail.com
• More forum tips.